You have a new PM! Click here here to read it!

Go Back   Ford Diesel Power Forums > Technical Section > 7.3L Powerstroke Technical Discussion

7.3L Powerstroke Technical Discussion Technical info, repair and non performance related discussion for the 7.3L Power Stroke engine here.

Old 10-28-2010, 07:22 PM
LEARNING IN PROGRESS

Default 7.3 rough idle

Hi all im new here... on my 95 7.3 it has a rough idle... only when warm or hot, the hotter the engine the worse the idle gets... when cold or on the throttle it runs smooth and great with good MPG... after pulling sherman pass with my 5th wheel last weekend we pulled over at the top and it was idleing so rough it spilt the drinks in the cup holder... its not throwing any codes so im stumped and don't know where to start... any ideas would be great thanks Alec
Old 10-28-2010, 08:07 PM

I would look at the ipr to start see what kind of oil pressure it has if that thing is stickin it can cause some problems.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:28 PM
LEARNING IN PROGRESS

Thanks for the reply... is there a procedure i should follow or can i unplug the it and see if it gets any better???
Old 10-28-2010, 10:20 PM
Sponsor

My truck runs like its got a hot cam, what could my problem be?

Rough idle and when cruising at lower RPM's it lurches like its wanting to freaking go balls to the wall!

Any ideas?

H&S Mini Maxx Tuners in Stock!
RevX In stock
TS Performance products in stock
Diamond Eye and MBRP exhausts in stock
S&B Intakes in stock
Old 10-28-2010, 10:59 PM
I have never lost a sock

If you have no other concerns, including starting when hot, and the idle only gets worse after the engine gets hot, I would suspect one or more of your injectors plungers and barrels have significant wear. Cooler, more viscous fuel will seal the plungers and barrels more proficiently than hotter, thinner fuel.

To verify this pour(on a close to empty tank of fuel) 1 gallon of motor oil in the tank. Drive the truck for a mile or two and then kill the engine. upon your next start up if the engine appears to run smoother I would suspect injector wear. your truck might exhibit significantly increased smoke with the added oil fill. If adding oil does not help, you may have an o-ring failure on in the high pressure oil circuit reducing injection delivery pressure. Do you have a scan tool available?
If your having DODGE problems I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems and a CUMMINS ain't 1 !

If I disagree with you, it is because you are wrong.
Michael
Old 10-28-2010, 11:03 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by can'twinforlosing View Post
If you have no other concerns, including starting when hot, and the idle only gets worse after the engine gets hot, I would suspect one or more of your injectors plungers and barrels have significant wear. Cooler, more viscous fuel will seal the plungers and barrels more proficiently than hotter, thinner fuel.

To verify this pour(on a close to empty tank of fuel) 1 gallon of motor oil in the tank. Drive the truck for a mile or two and then kill the engine. upon your next start up if the engine appears to run smoother I would suspect injector wear. your truck might exhibit significantly increased smoke with the added oil fill. If adding oil does not help, you may have an o-ring failure on in the high pressure oil circuit reducing injection delivery pressure. Do you have a scan tool available?
I should try the oil in the fuel thing!

H&S Mini Maxx Tuners in Stock!
RevX In stock
TS Performance products in stock
Diamond Eye and MBRP exhausts in stock
S&B Intakes in stock
Old 10-30-2010, 06:44 PM
LEARNING IN PROGRESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by can'twinforlosing View Post

this could also explain the over whelming exhaust smell when hot at idle... so i need to replace injectors a good time i upgrade i guess.. anyone have any reviews on the baby swamps???
Old 10-30-2010, 06:46 PM

Default Re: 7.3 rough idle

Have heard nothing but good things about them.
I have personally installed a set of the 200cc hybrids they ran great.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:58 PM
I have never lost a sock

Hybrids of any kind are awesome. Make sure your fuel system will support the injectors you choose.
If your having DODGE problems I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems and a CUMMINS ain't 1 !

If I disagree with you, it is because you are wrong.
Michael