You have a new PM! Click here here to read it!

Go Back   Ford Diesel Power Forums > Performance Section > Advanced Discussion - 7.3L Powerstroke Performance

Advanced Discussion - 7.3L Powerstroke Performance Advanced topics related to the 7.3L Power Stroke Engine

Old 01-27-2009, 03:30 PM
Grasshopper

Default temp for plugging in truck/cold starts

hey,
i know everyone is getting sick of cold start questions...but guess what...HERES ANOTHER ONE...so i'm up in Canada eh and well we've been having some cold weather and i bought my powerstroke this summer so this is the first winter with it...steep learning curve...it didn't want to start nice when it got down to 0 degrees celsius...so i did glow plugs and relay...and the harness looked good (as far as i could tell...) ...it made a difference in starting...not as much as i had wanted...then as it got colder it really wasn't starting nicely...so i did the screwdriver across gp relay and jump in and start to see if the relay had failed...no difference in start...so then i decided to check batteries next...turns out both batteries fell on their face when they received a load...hence by the time i was done glowing there was barely enough power to turn over good, not allowing enough crank for HPOP for work injectors proper, and probably not enough power to run IDM proper...needless to say I replaced both batteries with 850 CCA units...started much nicer...

side story...i'm in calgary renting a basement suite from a lady who is a penny pincher and actually put a switch on the plugs on the outside of her house so she can turn them off...so even when my truck is plugged in...its a dead plug...trust me i'm fighting with her...so the neighbour is letting my plug in...either way the land lady thinks that unless its -10 degree Celsius of less...it shouldn't need to be plugged in....

back to starting issues...I was up in Grand Prairie last weekend and it was -40 degree Celsius and well when plugged in it started rough but duh...its cold...so my question is...at what temperatures should a 7.3 with my recent fixes need to be plugged in? also what oil should i maybe run with these temps? 10-30? its tough cause this weekend it was -40 and now its 2 degrees celsius...the reason I ask for the rough starts in the cold is when it fires in the real cold it seems to only be running on a few cylinders for about 30 seconds...i'm thinking either bad gp/injector harness somewhere or worn out injectors?

sorry for the long post...

so questions after this background info:
what temp should it start no problem without being plugged in (with 15-40 in it now)?
should I run a thinner oil and what temp range is it ok for?
at what temperature does a proper blended diesel start to gel at?
also why does the truck not want to go over 40 km/hr for the first 2 minutes when -10C or below (not letting it warm up enough?) ?

Old 01-27-2009, 03:39 PM
PNWFDE--East Side Chapter

I would probably start with a full synethetic oil, maybe look into Schaeffers 9000 which is a 5W40 oil. I run it now on my truck and my cold starts are much much easier on the engine.

Looks like u checked all the right things on your truck, so my guess would be that the 15W40 is too thick for u at those temps without plugging in. U should still be able to start your truck at 10* above zero or down to zero also. I plug my truck in when the temps dip into the teens, sometimes into the 20s, thats Farhenheit remind u. Your land lady doesnt know one thing about diesels. Just suggest to her that u will buy a timer to use to where power will come on when it is plugged in a couple hours before u go to work. they work really well. i would also buy a lighted plug end for the extension cord, so u know when u have power to your extension cord. i use one all the time, it actually came in handy when my outlet started poppin circuit breakers.
Tyrant Diesel Tunes
Casserly 250cc Hybrid Injectors
BTS
AirDog II w/Reg. Return fuel bowl delete
291 hp 585 tq, Stock injectors/DPTuning
Dynoed 583hp 29 Sept 12
685hp 19 May on PMT1_Fuel 707 Tune by Tyrant!

13.22 sec in 1/4 mile @ 102 mph.
PNWFDE#2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cota View Post
Greg's truck backfires more HorsePower than yours makes!
9/25/09 RIP Muley, you will be missed!
Old 01-27-2009, 05:51 PM
Douched by Mike!

i like to plug in when it gets about 32*F(0*C). it starts easier, warms up quicker, and is easier on all the components, batts, starters, gp, gpr, uvc, etc.

i have it on a timer at home so it is plugged in from about 2am-8am. i usually leave about 7:30, so it gets a good 5 hours of being warm before it needs to start. Ford says 3 hours and its good to go.

i leave it plugged in at work all day, so its nice and warm when i go home. and its not on my dime.

this is a 1000W block heater, so for me it works out to be about a dollar a day if i leave it plugged in for 12 hours. 30 bucks a month...thats why its on the timer at home.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSlack View Post
i like to plug in when it gets about 32*F(0*C). it starts easier, warms up quicker, and is easier on all the components, batts, starters, gp, gpr, uvc, etc.

i have it on a timer at home so it is plugged in from about 2am-8am. i usually leave about 7:30, so it gets a good 5 hours of being warm before it needs to start. Ford says 3 hours and its good to go.

i leave it plugged in at work all day, so its nice and warm when i go home. and its not on my dime.

this is a 1000W block heater, so for me it works out to be about a dollar a day if i leave it plugged in for 12 hours. 30 bucks a month...thats why its on the timer at home.
thats good info there too Jeremy. plugging it in definitely makes it easier on all the components
Tyrant Diesel Tunes
BTS
Dynoed 583hp 29 Sept 12

PNWFDE#2

Quote:
Old 01-27-2009, 05:59 PM

Pretty much what has been said. I'd start with a change to a good 5w40 like Schaeffer or RTS. Make sure the batteries (which you have just replaced so no need to bother), cables (they can corrode inside the insulation in some cases) and all the connections on both the starting and GP circuits are tight and clean.

The 7.3 will start unaided into the -20F range if the engine is in good shape. 0*c really isn't that cold. However, due to lube oil viscosity increase due to contamination and temperature ANY time you can plug the truck in is a good. I have a 110VAC timer relay for the block heater outlets and my trucks stay plugged in year round.
TAG II, Exhaust Air Guide, K&N FIPK, Hood insulation delete, foil delete, SX and A1000 pumps, door dinger delete, COMPOUND trans coolers and a Banks Stinger+++ with the Banks TransCommand, Stinger+, TN turbo and stickers and Chrome curb Feelers.

248.9HP 4ft/lbs @ 3,400 RPM (don't forget to divide by 1,002 and carry the 5).

Gale Banks is my hero!

Nothing worse than a good idea that doesn't work.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:46 PM
Grasshopper

thanks for the replies guys...next question would be how do i know what wattage my block heater is? i'm assuming they come in different wattages? also i'm guessing you can buy the plug in timers at wal-mart or canadian tire(you don't have those obviously down there)...or other general stores?

oh and at what temp does a good blend of winter diesel start to gel at? Fahr or Cel?

Last edited by hazardiz; 01-27-2009 at 06:52 PM.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:58 PM

yopur block heater is the same as everyones, 1000watts. standard in our trucks
Tyrant Diesel Tunes
BTS
Dynoed 583hp 29 Sept 12

PNWFDE#2

Quote:
Old 01-27-2009, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazardiz View Post
thanks for the replies guys...next question would be how do i know what wattage my block heater is? i'm assuming they come in different wattages? also i'm guessing you can buy the plug in timers at wal-mart or canadian tire(you don't have those obviously down there)...or other general stores?

oh and at what temp does a good blend of winter diesel start to gel at? Fahr or Cel?
thats hard saying, because some guys will gel, and some dont. I have beeen in 40 below and colder and never gelled. just throw some treatment in your tank when u fill up. Power Service in the white bottle comes to mind
Tyrant Diesel Tunes
BTS
Dynoed 583hp 29 Sept 12

PNWFDE#2

Quote:
Old 01-27-2009, 07:08 PM
Douched by Mike!

I typically run standadyne...right now i have some amsoil stuff i picked up cuz the place that sells the standadyne closes at 5...and i can't make it down there in time unless i get off work early. gotta go stock up...

some gel at 20*F some gel at 0*F some don't gel...
Old 01-27-2009, 10:35 PM
Banned

ewww powerservice is not good. i just picked up a gallon of shaffers additive and so far am LOVING it.