You have a new PM! Click here here to read it!

Go Back   Ford Diesel Power Forums > Technical Section > 7.3L Powerstroke Technical Discussion

7.3L Powerstroke Technical Discussion Technical info, repair and non performance related discussion for the 7.3L Power Stroke engine here.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:08 PM
99f3507.3

Default how to clean injectors

is there a way to clean my injectors on my 99 f350 7.3 power stroke diesel>? if so how?
Old 01-12-2009, 11:02 PM

What do you mean clean them? Do you have them pulled out? Do you mean you want to run an additive in them?

I do not recommend running any specail additives to "clean" the injectors. Running good quality diesel fuel is the most important item for clean injectors. A good additive like Stanadyne or PowerService can be used as well.

If you have the injectors pulled out just use some brake clean on them. DO NOT use any kind of stiff bristle/wire brush on the nozzles. Just use some brake clean and if you need to knock the carbon off use an injector brush or a nylon brush.
TAG II, Exhaust Air Guide, K&N FIPK, Hood insulation delete, foil delete, SX and A1000 pumps, door dinger delete, COMPOUND trans coolers and a Banks Stinger+++ with the Banks TransCommand, Stinger+, TN turbo and stickers and Chrome curb Feelers.

248.9HP 4ft/lbs @ 3,400 RPM (don't forget to divide by 1,002 and carry the 5).

Gale Banks is my hero!

Nothing worse than a good idea that doesn't work.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:25 AM
99f3507.3

what i meant was instead of replacing them if i do pull them out how can i clean them and if so with what, would it be the same ive read if i fill the fuel filter housing with cleaner then fire up the truck? i can afford new ones thats why im lookin for the best way to clean them safely, if i do pull them do i need to buy a new oring kit . thanks jim
Old 01-13-2009, 01:13 PM

Just general cleaning you don't want to pull them.

I would get some Sea Foam and then fill the filter housing and then drive the truck. Like you stole it.

Of course a good quality fuel is a must.

97 F350 OBS (Old Big and Slow), 7.3L PSD, 4 Door XLT, DP F5- (20 tow,80 tow,80 econo,120 race), 3" Downpip, Cat Delete, HPX line, Rebuilt transmission (All steel parts, 6 pinion gears, xtra clutches, little tugger shift kit, 3 Disk T/C)
45K BTU Trans Cooler
AFE Ragin Filter with custom intake
Ragin Coolant Filter
78 Gallon's of Fuel capacity $$$
BD Exhaust Brake
'08 Diff cover with Amsoil
6.0 InterCooler Soon to be installed
Old 01-13-2009, 04:04 PM
99f3507.3

ill give that a try thank u.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:47 PM

I wouldn't put seafoam in the fuel filter, that is WAAAY to high a concentration and SeaFoam does not have the lubricity needed in that concentration.

If you have run #2 diesel in the truck there is nothing to clean. If you need to replace an injector no amount of cleaning will help. There is no instead of pulling them, they are either working or not. If they are at a point where they are having issues it is a safe bet it's not carbon on the nozzles (which is pretty much all an "additive" like seafoam will address) causing the issue and is more probably an oring/oil side issue.

If you must run some kind of additive run an additive that is designed for diesel fuel, there are several that are designed to clean, lubricate and maintain diesel fuel injection systems. Seafoam works great for many things, but there are better options for diesel engines.
TAG II, Exhaust Air Guide, K&N FIPK, Hood insulation delete, foil delete, SX and A1000 pumps, door dinger delete, COMPOUND trans coolers and a Banks Stinger+++ with the Banks TransCommand, Stinger+, TN turbo and stickers and Chrome curb Feelers.

Gale Banks is my hero!

Old 01-13-2009, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69W900A View Post
I wouldn't put seafoam in the fuel filter, that is WAAAY to high a concentration and SeaFoam does not have the lubricity needed in that concentration.

If you have run #2 diesel in the truck there is nothing to clean. If you need to replace an injector no amount of cleaning will help. There is no instead of pulling them, they are either working or not. If they are at a point where they are having issues it is a safe bet it's not carbon on the nozzles (which is pretty much all an "additive" like seafoam will address) causing the issue and is more probably an oring/oil side issue.

If you must run some kind of additive run an additive that is designed for diesel fuel, there are several that are designed to clean, lubricate and maintain diesel fuel injection systems. Seafoam works great for many things, but there are better options for diesel engines.
http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpTechDiesel.htm

I have used this on my truck. And was recommended by several of the diesel folks that I hang with here in town.
May not be for everyone. But I have seen it do wonders on many engines.

97 F350 OBS (Old Big and Slow), 7.3L PSD, 4 Door XLT, DP F5- (20 tow,80 tow,80 econo,120 race), 3" Downpip, Cat Delete, HPX line, Rebuilt transmission (All steel parts, 6 pinion gears, xtra clutches, little tugger shift kit, 3 Disk T/C)
45K BTU Trans Cooler
AFE Ragin Filter with custom intake
Ragin Coolant Filter
78 Gallon's of Fuel capacity $$$
BD Exhaust Brake
'08 Diff cover with Amsoil
6.0 InterCooler Soon to be installed
Old 01-13-2009, 11:57 PM
Supercharged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Big and Slow View Post

I have used this on my truck. And was recommended by several of the diesel folks that I hang with here in town.
I believe they are talking about diesel's that have injector pumps. Not plungers and barrels...

Engine - Empire Diesel Performance
Oil - Terminator Engineering
Fuel - Swamps
Air - Empire Diesel Performance 38R & Procharger
Tuning - Matt66
Old 01-14-2009, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Big and Slow View Post

It's your engine feel free to do what you think is best, but from what I have seen come through our pump shop I'll stick to something designed for a diesel injector/pump.

But again, there is NO reason to "clean" the injector if the truck is running ok and burning #2.

Gale Banks is my hero!

Old 01-14-2009, 08:17 PM
Banned

What patrick said... there is really nothing to clean. Run diesel thru them keeps them nice and clean!